What is Milk Thistle?
Milk Thistle is a flowering herb that is in the ragweed family. It primarily grows in Mediterranian countries and is also known by the names Holy Thistle and Mary Thistle. This herbal remedy has been used for centuries to naturally treat conditions of the liver such as Hepatitis, Cirrhosis, and Jaundice. With this information, people will learn more about this important herb and how it can improve and protect their health.
How Does Milk Thistle Heal the Liver?
Milk Thistle is primarily used to treat liver conditions because it works to destroy hepatoxic agents that cause toxicity in the liver. Through research, it has been found this herbal remedy can heal toxic liver damage through encouraging the liver to grow new cells to replace those that have been damaged.
Milk Thistle has been used to successfully treat:
- Jaundice: This liver condition causes yellowing of the skin and eyes. The yellow coloring occurs because of the overproduction of bilirubin by the liver. This is often caused by a blocked liver duct.
- Cirrhosis: This liver condition causes massive scarring to take place over a long period of time. This condition can be fatal if not treated early. Most people who develop Cirrhosis consume large amounts of alcohol or have suffered from chronic virus attacks.
- Hepatic Pain: This condition causes hemangiomas to develop in the liver. They can cause pain and can be life-threatening if they rupture and cause bleeding.
- Hepatitis: Is an inflammation of the liver caused by disease from a virus that goes through the blood and attacks the liver.
Through research studies, it is suggested taking Milk Thistle can not only treat these conditions but can also be used to help prevent them. Milk Thistle attacks the agents that seek to cause liver damage and can help in encouraging new liver cell growth for liver regeneration.
What Other Benefits Does Milk Thistle Offer?
Milk Thistle has healing properties that allow it to help the cells in the body stay healthy. While primarily used for the liver protection and treatment, this special herb also helps in many other ways to improve and protect a person's health.
- Cancer: There is a special material found in Milk Thistle that has strong anti-cancer properties. Research has found Milk Thistle is especially beneficial in treating breast cancer, prostate cancer, and cervical cancer. Silymarin is the anti-cancer material and has been found to have antioxidant properties that can protect the cells against cancer growth.
- High Cholesterol: The Silymarin found in Milk Thistle also helps to lower blood cholesterol levels in the body. Not only does it lower the bad cholesterol, but it raises the good for better cardiovascular health.
- Gallstones: The Silymarin in Milk Thistle also increases bile circulation to help eliminate gallstones and prevent them from forming for better gallbladder health.
- Obesity: Since Milk Thistle improves the way the liver functions, it is able to metabolize fat at a much higher rate so those who are suffering from obesity can lose weight more efficiently.
- Skin Conditions: Skin conditions like Psoriasis are caused by toxins in the body. Since the skin is the largest organ in the body, it often shows the most damage from free radicals and toxins. By improving liver function, Milk Thistle is able to improve the health and appearance of the skin.
How Should Milk Thistle Be Taken?
This herbal remedy can be taken orally or drunk in tea. The amount one should take will depend on what they are trying to accomplish by supplementing with Milk Thistle.
- Antioxidant Effects: 140 milligrams taken three times a day for three weeks
- Acute Viral Hepatitis: 160 to 800 milligrams divided into three doses a day for three weeks
- Cirrhosis: 160 to 800 milligrams divided into three doses a day for three weeks
- Diabetes: 200 to 230 milligrams, one to three times a day for up to twelve months
- Liver Toxicity:160 to 800 milligrams divided into three doses a day for up to five weeks
Most people tolerate Milk Thistle without experiencing any major side-effects. Some people may develop an upset stomach or diarrhea when they first start taking the herb. This generally passes in a couple of days. If the side-effects continue or worsen, one should discontinue use and contact their doctor.
Can Milk Thistle Be Taken With Other Supplements?
Milk Thistle can be taken with other supplements and other remedies without any interaction. Many people have found taking Milk Thistle with Glutathione helps to increase the health benefits to the body. Glutathione is an antioxidant that is created by the body.
This powerful antioxidant is considered the most important antioxidant in the body because it not only protects the body from free radicals but also helps other antioxidants to work more efficiently in protecting the body and treating the body for different health concerns.
Glutathione is made by the body and is supposed to be regenerated so the supply is plentiful. Unfortunately, many people are lacking this key antioxidant because they consume poor diets, are under tremendous loads of stress, and take medications. When Glutathione and Milk Thistle are taken together, along with a healthy diet, this powerhouse works continuously to bring protection and healing to the body where it is needed most.
Those who suffer from liver disease and various conditions of the liver can benefit from taking Milk Thistle as directed by their doctor. This potent herbal remedy helps to improve liver function and renew the liver after it has been destroyed by toxins from the foods one eats and their environment. This herbal remedy can heal the liver and improve its function.
Though Milk Thistle is safe for most adults, it should not be given to children. To be sure it will not interact with any medications one takes, it behooves a person to seek counsel from their doctor before they begin considering Milk Thistle therapy. By being proactive and protecting the body with the powerful antioxidants it needs for protection, people can keep their bodies healthier and stronger so they can ward off diseases that would seek to destroy their bodies and impair organ and body system function.